Thursday, March 24, 2011

"Which Came First?"


It's almost been a year since I got married ... and bought my first house ... and started at a new firm (all within THE SAME MONTH).  Needless to say, over this past year, I've had some huge life changes to grapple with.  I've always prided myself on my love of cooking, love of eating and my immeasurable love of entertaining.  Nothing brings me more satisfaction than to show others how I feel about them by feeding them.  With a busy career, I let 8 pounds pack on since my wedding to the point that my gown no longer fit.  So, I joined Weight Watchers and am happy to say that I'm down 27 lbs. in just shy of three months and my gown is about 4 sizes too big!!  I've modified my food shopping lists and menus to reflect more healthful options and, for the most part, aim to put whole proteins and veggies on my daily dinner plates.  What's pictured above is my husband's version of a dish that I created that I call "Which Came First?"  He's a voracious eater and very athletic, so I always prepare two breasts with two eggs for him.  A calorie and "point"wise mindful eater like myself only eats one breast and one egg with the asparagus.  I hope you enjoy this dish.  The best part about it is that it's a One Pan Wonder and can be made in about 12 minutes.  A working girl's dream! 

Ingredients
Boneless chicken breasts
Asparagus (bottoms trimmed)
Eggs
3-4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper

Directions
- In a large grill pan, preheat the evenly spread olive oil on medium high for one minute.
- Place as many chicken breasts as you need in one side of the grill pan and cook for about 4 minutes on each side.  The grill pan guarantees perfect grill marks every time.  No pressing down with a spatula, which dries out the meat!
- Once you flip the breasts the first time, add the asparagus spears to the other side of the pan, rolling them in the olive oil and lightly salting and peppering them and the chicken to taste.  These cook quickly and will be done in just a couple of minutes.  You'll know they are done when they feel slightly softened and are a vibrant green.
- When the chicken is fully cooked, remove and plate the breasts. 
- While the chicken is "resting" and the asparagus is finishing up, fry up as many eggs as you would like in the same pan.  The eggs take on the flavor of the juicy chicken, the olive oil and the asparagus.  A runnier egg makes this dish more flavorful and interesting. 
- Once the eggs are done, ever-so-carefully transfer them with a spatula onto each breast.
- Serve the asparagus on the side.  Add additional salt and pepper to taste.  Enjoy!

Real Meals for the Working Woman

No comments:

Post a Comment