Sunday, November 20, 2011

A Thanksgiving Treat: Show Stoppin' Sausage Apple Stuffing


Show Stoppin' Sausage Apple Stuffing
(Serves 15)

As if I don't spend enough time in my kitchen already, around Thanksgiving I pretty much set up a bed there.  Nothing gives me more satisfaction than to put my heart and love into preparing foods for loved ones to show them how truly thankful I am to have them in my life.  This year especially has presented me with some very wonderful events that have inspired me to infuse my feelings into my food.  Thanksgiving isn't just a day for me ... it's a whole week of cooking!!

Below is my recipe for cornbread stuffing with sausage and cinnamon dusted apples.  It can be prepared days ahead of the big day and warmed either in the bird or in a large casserole dish.  The flavor combinations and textures are music to your mouth, and you WILL be asked for this recipe, as I am every single time I make it.  I hope you whip this up for your loved ones this year!

Ingredients
- 2 packets of cornbread stuffing cubes
- 1 loaf of unsliced multi grain bread - slice it yourself into large cubes
- 1-2 lbs of ground sweet Italian sausage
- 6 pink lady apples, cored and sliced into bite size pieces
- 1 pack of celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 extra large white onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 large cartons or cans of chicken stock
- Margarine
- 2 tsps of sage
- 2 tsps of poultry seasoning
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon

Directions:
- Over medium heat, lightly brown sausage in the bottom of an extra large pot.
- No need to drain the sausage once done.  Simply add and melt 3 tbsps of margarine to the meat and toss in all of the chopped celery and onion until lightly softened over medium heat (about 8 minutes).
- Sprinkle ground cinnamon over the chopped apples and toss them into the pot.
- Pour in both packs of the stuffing cubes and stir the entire mixture.  Turn heat to low.
- Pour in one carton of chicken stock, and continue to lightly toss the mixture.
- Add the hand cubed loaf of any multi grain bread, and toss again.
- Lightly sprinkle in the sage and poultry seasoning.
- Stir in the remaining carton of chicken stock, and do the final toss.
- With a large spoon, transfer the stuffing into a large casserole dish, cover with aluminum foil, and bake on the middle rack at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Then uncover the stuffing, turn heat up to 400 degrees, move to the top rack, and continue baking for 10 minutes.  This gives your stuffing that crispy top ... the best part!!

If you want to warm the stuffing in your turkey, simply prepare the stuffing as set forth above, and, instead of putting it in a casserole dish, scoop it in the bird!  Cooks perfectly every time.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment