"YOU'RE KIDDIN' ME" CHICKEN & RICE
I created this recipe after joining Weight Watchers two years ago when I was desperately searching for a filling but healthy dinner that I could make quickly and could be toted to the office for a satisfying lunch the next day. I call it "You're Kiddin' Me" Chicken & Rice because if I told you how few calories and fat are in each serving you'd say that I actually WAS kidding you. Made with ground chicken and brown rice, this wholesome and healthful meal can be made in approximately 15 minutes (or less if you are good at preparing the two components simultaneously). I love this dish just as I've described it below, but feel free to experiment by adding vegetables, herbs or even white beans! You can even use this entire mixture and fill whole grain wraps with it for a healthy spin on the burrito. The possibilities are endless. Recently, I threw together this quick and easy meal for a family member recovering from surgery who's been begging me for the recipe ever since! Well, here it is. I hope you busy working women and moms on-the-go try it for your families tonight. Enjoy!
- One lb. ground chicken (I prefer Perdue)
- One packet of Ortega Taco Seasoning
- Two bags of Success Boil-in-Bag Brown Rice
- 2-3 tbsp Margarine
- Grated Parmesan Cheese (to taste)
- Fully cook chicken in a skillet over medium heat until no longer pink. Do not brown it because it will dry out.
- Simultaneously boil water for rice.
- Put bags of rice into boiling water and boil per directions (approximately 8 minutes).
- Once chicken is no longer pink, add 1/4-1/2 cup water to skillet over medium heat and empty contents of seasoning packet. Continue cooking the mixture over medium heat, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes. The "sauce" will reduce and thicken slightly. Turn off heat when done.
- When rice is done, grab the bags with tongs or a fork, remove from water, drain the water from the pot, and empty the drained rice back into the pot. (You will have to cut the rice bags open with scissors).
- To the rice, add the margarine and a healthy shaking of Parmesan. Mix together.
How To Serve
- Scoop rice into a bowl or a nice rimmed plate.
- Dig a little "well" in the middle of the rice and scoop the chicken therein. No need to mix it up. Let your diners do that!
- This meal makes for terrific leftovers or lunch the next day. Simply microwave for 1-2 minute and viola!!
Real Meals for the Working Woman